Fractal Design Node 804 Micro ATX Case Review
By Tom Jaskulka
Manufacturer: Fractal Design
Product Name: Node 804
Model Number: FD-CA-NODE-804-BL-W
Price As Tested: $109.99 MSRP
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by Fractal Design
Last summer, I had a chance to review Corsair’s cube-shaped Carbide Air 540. A bit of a unique enclosure, it isolated the motherboard, CPU and expansion cards into a separate chamber from the hard drives and power supply. The “double-wide” ATX approach had quite a few advantages, but the wider footprint meant the large enclosure would struggle to fit anywhere – certainly not on top a desk, and even placing it below was cumbersome for some workstations. Even with the tradeoff, it was a great performer and a solid concept. If only it were a bit smaller…
Enter Fractal Design’s Node 804. While it isn’t an exact scaled-down replica of cases like the Carbide Air 540 or HAF XB, it still uses a cube/split chamber layout – this time in a micro-ATX size. With dimensions of 344 x 307 x 389 mm or 13.5 x 12.1 x 15.3 inches (WHD), the Node 804 is just a bit wider than a BitFenix Prodigy and almost exactly a third larger than the Node 304 (in the height and width dimensions – depth differs by only 15mm). The Node family is designed with a focus on Home Entertainment; with the vast array of fan, radiator and storage combinations that are possible the Node 804 could easily take on any number of roles. Benchmark Reviews has received the Node 804 for some testing, so let’s take a look at the newest member of Fractal Design’s Node family.
- Highly effective dual chamber case layout for best possible cooling.
- Minimalistic design with an elegant brushed aluminum front panel
- Unique hard drive mounting system, fitting up to 8 x 3.5″, 4 x 2.5” or up to 10 x 3.5”, 2 x 2.5″ drives HDD/SSD
- Three Fractal Design Silent Series R2 fans included with the case and space for an additional 7 fans.
- Excellent water cooling support with space for up to 4 radiators simultaneously.
- All intakes feature removable dust filters providing a dust-free interior.
- Featuring a window side panel to show off your set up in style.
- Additional space in the front to mount a slim optical bay drive and 2 x 2.5″ drives.
- Fan controller included.
- Five expansion slots that allows for multiple GPU setups.
- Micro ATX and Mini ITX motherboard compatibility
- 8 – 3.5″ HDD positions
- 2 – 2.5″ dedicated SSD unit positions
- 2 – Extra positions for either 3,5″ or 2,5″ drives
- 5 expansion slots
- 10 – Fan positions (3 x 120mm Silent Series R2 fans included)
- Filtered fan slots in front, top and bottom
- CPU coolers up to 160 mm in height
- PSU compatibility: ATX PSUs up to 260 mm deep
- Graphics card compatibility: Graphics cards up to 320mm in length. Graphics cards up to 290 mm in length may be installed if a fan is installed in the lower position in the front.
- Velcro strap for easy cable management
- Clear Window side panel included
- Colors available: Black
- Case dimensions (WxHxD): 344 x 307 x 389 mm
- Net weight: 6 kg
- Package dimensions (WxHxD): 370 x 468 x 412 mm
- Package weight: 7.7kg
- Front: 4 – 120mm fans (included is one hydraulic bearing 120mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- Rear: 1 – 120/140mm fan (included is a hydraulic bearing 120mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- Rear: 1 – 120mm fan slots (included is 1 hydraulic bearing 120mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- Top: 4 – 120x140mm fans (not included)
- Fan controller: 1 – Integrated fan controller for up to 3 fans (included)
Water cooling compatibility
- Front (right chamber) – 240 mm radiator configurations up to 60 mm thick (with fans) and 278 mm tall are allowed.
- Front (left chamber) – 240 mm radiator configurations up to 60 mm thick (with fans) and 278 mm tall are allowed. Using a radiator in this position prevents the use of a fan in the top position just next to it.
- Top (right chamber) – 240/280 mm radiators up to 130mm thick (with fans) may be fitted if the HDD drive bays are taken out or placed elsewhere. No limitation to thickness.
- Top (left chamber) – 240 mm radiator configurations up to 130 mm thick (with fans) will fit. Radiators in this position limits the height of memory modules to 48 mm tall.
Maximum radiator configuration: 1x240mm,1x280mm and 2x120mm radiators simultaneously.