Beelink GTQ 4K Android Media Center Review
By Olin Coles
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by GearBest.
Media players are no longer those bulky HTPC systems taking up as much space as a desktop computer. They’re also a far cry from the set-top DVR boxes that used to be so popular. These days they’re better known as Media Centers, because they play and record media while functioning as an Internet-connected device. Based on Google’s Android 5.1 (Lollipop) operating system, the Beelink GTQ Media Center in a culmination of technology into a small tidy metal package.
In this article for Benchmark Reviews, we test the Beelink GTQ Android TV BOX Media Center. Promoted as a 4K-ready media player with quad-core Amlogic S812 CPU and eight-core ARM Mali-450 GPU utilizing the new H.265 decoder ideal for 4K Ultra HD picture quality, the Beelink GTQ fills its compact metal shell with powerful hardware comparable to most laptop computers. While a 1000-Mb Gigabit Ethernet port is available, the Beelink GTQ also takes advantage of 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz wireless b/g/n networks.
Previous favorites have included the WD TV Live, and more recently the 2015 Roku 2 (4210R). We also looked at the Android-based Pivos XIOS XS Media Center not so long ago. For this review, we compare the Beelink GTQ Android TV BOX Media Center to these media players, and share our experiences.
GTQ Media Center Features
Features and Specifications provided courtesy GearBest.com
- Metal shell material design.
- KODI pre-installed: Over 50 most popular Add-ons installed in your KODI.
- XBMC supported. XBMC can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats.
- Android 5.1: Rapid and stable, gives you access to over 800,000 apps including Facebook, YouTube, Picasa and more.
- Professional 2.4G + 5.8G WiFi, offering a more stable WiFi signal to enjoy a higher quality video experience.
- Gigabit 1000M Ethernet.
- 2GB RAM + 8GB eMMC ROM, 32GB maximum extended capacity gives you more space to download your favorite apps and caches to browse websites, play games, run apps, watch movies more smoothly.
- Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity: Easy pairing with most Bluetooth-enabled devices (computer, mobile phone, keyboard, and others).
- HDMI 1.4 connector: You can go directly to let your TV and MXV are connected through a HDMI cable and set up your home cinema for the best 1080P HD multimedia experience.
- USB host ports: Connect with your mouse and keyboard to help you operate more convenient.
- Infrared remote control let you enjoy your wonderful life which the wireless brings to you.
Beelink GTQ Specifications
Type: TV Box
Color: Black or Silver
System: Android 5.1
CPU: Amlogic S812
Core: Cortex A9, Quad Core, 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR3
ROM: 8GB eMMC
Max. Extended Capacity: 32GB
|Media Supported||Decoder Format: H.265, H.264
Video Format: RMVB, 4K x 2K, MKV, MOV, WMV, RM, AVI
Audio Format: OGG, FLAC, MP3, WMA, AAC
Photo Format: JPG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG
|Specification||Support XBMC: Yes
WiFi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
Power Supply: Charge Adapter
Interface: HDMI, AV, LAN, SPDIF, Micro SD Card Slot
Certificate: CE, RoHS
|Dimension and Weight||Product Weight: 0.260 kg
Package Weight: 0.740 kg
Product Size (L x W x H): 12.5 x 12.5 x 2.2 cm / 4.91 x 4.91 x 0.86 inches
Package Size (L x W x H): 16.3 x 14.7 x 7.8 cm / 6.41 x 5.78 x 3.07 inches
|Package Contents||Package Contents: 1 x Beelink GTQ TV Box, 1 x Power Adapter, 1 x Adapter, 1 x HDMI Cable, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x Remote Controller, 1 x English Manual|