Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Micro ATX Case Review
By Steven Iglesias-Hearst
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by Fractal Design.
The second revision of the Arc Mini micro ATX chassis brings a few revisions while keeping the essential styling that differentiates Fractal Design from other PC case manufacturers. The original Arc Mini PC case was well received by PC enthusiasts and system builders alike, and now Benchmark Reviews has the Arc Mini R2 for testing and we will detail what sets it apart from the crowd.
The first and most noticeable feature is the smoked side panel window. Secondly, for a mid-tower m-ATX form factor PC case, the Arc Midi surely knows how to pack in the cooling features desired by today’s hardware enthusiast and performance system builder. The Arc Mini R2 has three fans pre-installed as standard and space for a further four fans. If water cooling is your thing then you will find the Arc Mini R2 is much more accommodating than you would expect. There is support for either a 240mm or 280mm radiator in the roof as standard, or a 360mm radiator which requires the removal of the optical drive bays. Removing the HDD bays alloys you to install a 240mm radiator in the front of the case too.
The air intakes feature easily removable filters for cleaning (front intake and bottom PSU intake). Cable routing is supported with lots of grommeted pass through ports and ample space behind the motherboard tray. ATX PSUs up to 170 mm deep are supported when using the bottom fan location. If you don’t install a fan in the bottom you can install longer PSUs up to 220 mm deep. Video cards up to 260mm in length are supported with the top HDD cage installed. With the top cage removed, video cards up to 400mm are supported.
Features & Specifications
The features and specifications detailed below were taken directly from the ARC Mini R2 product page on the Fractal Design website.
- A compact micro ATX case designed for exceptional airflow and cooling
- Superior water cooling support for its size, accommodating multiple thick 240mm radiators or even a 360mm radiator for an uncompromised cool system build
- Three Silent Series R2 fans included, giving you excellent cooling straight out of the box! 4 additional fan positions are available
- Featuring an integrated three-speed fan controller and USB 3.0 on the front panel for easy access
- Multiple easy-to-clean dust filters designed into the case to help maintain a dust free interior
- Great storage capacity for a mini chassis, with up to six 3.5” drives and two additional 2.5” drives
- Innovative SSD position mounting, using brackets to allow for easy access once your system is completely built
- Featuring a large stylish window side panel to show off your set up in style
- Designed with ample space for easy, tidy cable routing and an overall a neat build
- Micro ATX, Mini ITX motherboard compatibility
- 2 – 5.25″ bays
- 6 – 3.5″ HDD trays – all compatible with SSDs
- 2 – 2.5″ dedicated SSD positions behind the mothboard plate
- 4 + 1 expansion slots
- 7 – Fan positions (3 Silent Series R2 fans included)
- Filtered fan slots in front, top and bottom
- CPU coolers up to 165 mm tall
- PSU compatibility: ATX PSUs up to 170 mm deep when using the bottom fan location; when not using this fan location longer PSUs (up to 220 mm deep) can be used
- Graphics card compatibility: Graphics cards up to 260mm in length with the top HDD cage installed – With the top cage removed, graphics cards up to 400mm in length may be installed
- 20 mm of space for cable routing behind the motherboard plate
- Thick rubber grommets on all holes on the motherboard plate
- Window side panel included
- Colors available: Black
- Case dimensions (WxHxD): 210 x 405 x 484mm
- Net weight: 9kg
- Package dimensions (WxHxD): 280 x 475 x 565mm
- Package weight: 10kg