Seagate Desktop HDD ST4000DM000 Review
Manufacturer: Seagate Technology LLC
Product Name: 4TB Desktop HDD
Model Number: ST4000DM000 (OEM Kit) | STBD4000400 (Retail Kit)
Price As Tested: OEM: $189 (Amazon|Newegg) Retail: $199 (Amazon|Newegg)
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by Seagate.
Seagate has recently re-branded their consumer storage products, formerly named Barracuda, in time for the launch of their 15th-generation. The 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD (OEM model ST4000DM000, retail kit STBD4000400) features a SATA 6Gb/s interface with Native Command Queueing (NCQ). Eight data heads read and write to four 1GB disc platters which enable 625Gb/in2 areal density. Cached by 64MB DRAM, this 5900 RPM hard disk drive is specified to move files at 180 MB/s sustained data rate. In this article, Benchmark Reviews tests performance and explores new features on the 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD.
The ST4000DM000/ST3000DM003 Seagate Desktop HDD series is designed for high-capacity personal computer storage needs. Seagate has also introduced a number of refined technologies to help improve overall hard drive performance, including: dual core 40nm processor technology, DDR2 DRAM buffer, and refined caching algorithms. An efficient 2A startup current combined with improved burst rate and sustained bandwidth could give Solid State Drive (SSD) components serious competition.
Free manufacturer-supplied software tools such as Seagate SeaTools enables users to custom-define firmware parameters to enable performance features such as ‘Short Stroke’ and noise reduction.
Seagate Desktop HDD Features:
- High instantaneous (burst) data-transfer rates (up to 600MB per second).
- TGMR recording technology provides the drives with increased areal density.
- State-of-the-art cache and on-the-fly error-correction algorithms.
- Native Command Queueing with command ordering to increase performance in demanding applications.
- Full-track multiple-sector transfer capability without local processor intervention.
- Seagate AcuTrac servo technology delivers dependable performance, even with hard drive track widths of only 75 nanometers.
- Seagate OptiCache technology boosts overall performance by as much as 45% over the previous generation.
- Seagate SmartAlign technology provides a simple, transparent migration to Advanced Format 4K sectors
- Quiet operation.
- Compliant with RoHS requirements in China and Europe.
- SeaTools diagnostic software performs a drive self-test that eliminates unnecessary drive returns.
- Support for S.M.A.R.T. drive monitoring and reporting.
- Supports latching SATA cables and connectors.
- Worldwide Name (WWN) capability uniquely identifies the drive.
Seagate Desktop HDD Specifications:
Source: Seagate Technology LLC