Kwikset SmartCode 916 Electronic Deadbolt Review
By Olin Coles
Manufacturer: Kwikset Corporation
Product Name: SmartCode 916 Z‑Wave Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt
Model Number: 916TRL 15 UL
Part Number: 99160-002
Price As Tested: $249.99 (Newegg | Amazon)
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by Spectrum Brands, Inc.
A few months ago a friend of mine had his home burglarized early one morning, along with over thirty other homes that same week. He and his family were all home in bed, with dogs sleeping nearby. The doors were locked, deadbolt closed, and windows shut. In spite of these precautions, someone was able to gain entrance through the front door by using a set of bump keys matched to his neighborhood. Before anybody in his house knew it, the thieves had walked off when his living room electronics.
A home alarm system certainly could have helped, but most people only set them when they’re away. Since the burglars used special bump keys fashioned specifically for the brand of locks used in his cookie-cutter development, the dead bolt never stood a chance. This worried the neighborhood, and many home owners rushed to replace their door locks with a proven alternative: bump-proof deadbolt systems.
The recent rash of burglaries concerned me, as my new home shared the same basic deadbolt as everyone else. I check with neighbors, and a popular choice with contractors was the Kwikset SmartCode 916 Z‑Wave Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt, which auto-locks after thirty seconds and can wirelessly communicate with security and home automation systems via encrypted Z-Wave technology. Mine installed in minutes, and is the subject of this article for Benchmark Reviews.
Kwikset SmartCode 916 Features
Kwikset®, the leader in residential security, introduces the NEW SmartCode™ 916 Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt with HomeConnect™ technology! Expanding your security system solution with a Kwikset SmartCode 916 Touchscreen deadbolt with Home Connect technology will allow the lock to talk wirelessly to security and home automation systems via Z-Wave®.
- Capacitive touchscreen
- Secured keyless entry convenience
- One touch locking
- Dramatically reduced interior size and sleek metal design
- 30 user codes plus master code feature for added security
- BHMA grade 2 certified
- 20 minute fire rating – UL certified
- Full 128-bit encryption security
- SmartKey® technology – the lock you can re-key yourself in seconds in three easy steps
- Patented side locking bar technology offers improved security by protecting against lock bumping, an attack technique used to defeat conventional pin & tumbler locks
- Installs in minutes with just a screw driver no hard wiring needed
- Fits standard doors (1-3/8″–2″). no new screw holes required
- Lifetime mechanical and finish warranty. 1 year electronics warranty