Fractal Design Core 1100 Computer Case Review
By Meng Vang
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by Fractal Design.
During 2013, Fractal Design announced the Core 1000 micro-ATX case for consumers who were looking for a simple and compact case for their PC. It provided a mesh front panel with dust filters to increase airflow while decreasing interior dust buildup. It also came with a preinstalled 120mm front fan along with the innovated vertical hard drive bracket.
Fractal Design has now released their Core 1100 MicroATX computer case. It still has a preinstalled 120mm front intake fan and the vertical hard drive bracket. The biggest change is only the exterior design with its brushed aluminum finish, making it look identical to most Fractal Design cases. Front panel I/O ports are now located on the front instead of on the side like how the Core 1000 had them. It also supports graphics cards of up to 350mm, CPU coolers up to 148mm tall, and an optional 80mm or 92mm rear exhaust fan for improved airflow.
It may look more stylish when compared to its predecessor, but looks do not always mean better performance. Taking away the front mesh panel and replacing it with a plastic brushed aluminum panel with only side ventilation does look better, but will this compromise internal airflow? Benchmark Reviews has provided this sample of the Core 1100 for review. Let’s see what this little micro-ATX case has to offer.
Features & Specifications
- An extremely compact micro ATX case, designed for exceptional airflow and cooling
- Brushed aluminum-look front panel with a sleek, three-dimensional textured finish
- One Fractal Design 120mm fans included
- Easy access I/O on front panel, with audio and both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports
- Front panel dust filters and closed top and bottom panels help maintaining a dust free interior
- Innovative vertical HDD bracket, which can hold two 3.5″ drives or three 2.5″ drives, or one drive of each size
- Vibration-dampened mounting for both 3.5″ drive slots
- Fully painted interior, with Fractal Design signature white details
- Mini ITX, Micro ATX motherboard compatibility
- 2 drive bays of 5,25″ , two 3.5″ HDD positions or 3 bays 2.5″ or one 2.5″ and one 3.5″drive positions
- 4 expansion slots
- Supports Graphics cards up to 350mm in length may be installed. One or more 3.5″ hard drives may interfere with side-mounted power connectors on graphics cards longer than 170 mm
- Support cooling system: 3 Fan positions (1 fan included)
- Filtered fan slots in front
- CPU coolers up to 148 mm in height
- ATX PSUs, up to 185mm if a typical-length optical drive is mounted
- Available in Black
- Case dimensions (WxHxD):175 x 358 x 410 mm
- Net weight: 3.8 kg
- Package dimensions (WxHxD): 235 x 485 x 420 mm
- Package weight: 4.6 kg