Rosewill Legacy W1 Mini-ITX Computer Case Review
By Tom Jaskulka
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by Rosewill.
Rosewill’s Legacy series of cases brought a new image with them to the Newegg in-house brand’s typically budget-oriented lineup. That’s not to say there weren’t splendid offerings available previously – I still maintain that Rosewill’s Thor V2 chassis is one of the best “price for performance” cases produced in recent memory. Even excluding the stand-out cases, there was a chassis at almost every price point that usually offered just as much as the competition at a lower price (even though they may have sacrificed a feature or a little build quality – usually negligible – to do so). Still, Rosewill’s penchant for penny-pinching produced (alliteration!) a few compromises along the way. Looking to provide some premium offerings and possibly shed their “budget” image of the past, Rosewill may just end up revamping their legacy with the new Legacy W1 Mini-ITX computer case. Available in black or silver with or without a window, this aluminum-clad mini-ITX case appears to be a premium answer to enclosures like the BitFenix Prodigy.
You might as well forget everything you’ve heard about Rosewill when working with the Legacy cases, as they appear to be in a different class entirely. With brushed aluminum everywhere, conservative design and precise construction the Legacy W1 looks like it brings quite a few new factors to the equation. I’ve learned you can’t always judge a case by its panels though, so let’s build a system in the W1 and see if it can stand up to its initial impression. Benchmark Reviews has a chance to take a closer look at the non-window version of the Legacy W1 (model 11-147-221B), so let’s get started!
- Internal 3.5″ Drive Bays: 4
- Internal 2.5″ Drive Bays: 2
- Slot-in ODD Bays: 1
- Expansion Slots: 2
- 120mm Fans: 2 x top 120mm/140mm Fans, support liquid cooling system(optional)
- 140mm Fans: 1 x Front 140mm Fan (pre-installed), 1 x Rear 140mm Fan (pre-installed)
- Dimensions: 9.53″ x 14.25″ x 14.02″ (W x D x H)
- Weight: 16.31 lbs.
NOTICE: Please make sure your motherboard is equipped with on-board USB 3.0 socket before purchasing.
- – CPU Cooler: Not Higher than 215mm
- – Display Card: Not Longer than 320mm
- Ideal for Intel & AMD Systems
- Support Standard ATX PSII PSU
- Sturdy Construction
- Ventilations for Display Card (within 280mm).
- One Built-in 140mm Front Fans
- One Built-in 140mm Rear Fan
- Support double 140mm or 120mm liquid cooling radiators
- Front I/O Ports : 2x USB3.0, Audio Out, MIC in
Specifications taken from the Newegg product page.