MSI GK-601 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
By Joey Peng
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International (MSI)
Product Name: MSI GK-601 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Model Number: GK-601
Price As Tested: $119.99 (Newegg)
Full Disclosure: The product sample used in this article has been provided by MSI
Mechanical Keyboards have been a popular item lately for its tactile response and long lasting quality. Numerous manufacturers, including the likes of Corsair and Mad Catz, have all been jumping onto the bandwagon. MSI does as well, bringing us a new mechanical gaming keyboard, the GK-601. In this article, Benchmark Reviews tests performance for the MSI GK-601 macro-enabled mechanical gaming keyboard.
The MSI GK-601 comes with a full list of standard features, including back-lighting, macro profiling, and audio/USB ports. It sports Cherry MX Red Switches, a type of mechanical switch that offers the least amount resistance on key presses. This switch has linear resistance and triggers key presses on the way down. It is said to be one of the best switches for gaming due to its low actuate force.
The MSI GK-601 Mechanical Keyboard is a solid all-rounder mechanical keyboard. For a macro-capable keyboard, the price is slightly on the high side. Benchmark Reviews will test out the MSI GK-601 to see if it stands out among its peers.
Features & Specifications
- Cherry MX mechanical red switches – The Cherry™ Black Switch is treated as the favorite “gaming switch” by gamers. Now, Cherry™ Red Switch features all the benefits from Black Switch such as high reliability but with less actuated force, that is to say, GK-601 allows much higher rate of presses due to less force to actuate. The result is a feel that most perceive as “smoother” and “faster”, making them especially popular among gaming enthusiasts.
- N-Keys rollover under USB connection – In some gaming session like FPS or ARPG games, you may need to press multiple keys at once. GK-601 features advanced performance with N-Key Rollover and anti-ghosting technology through USB connection. You can have multiple keys pressed at the same time without any interruption.
- Gaming/PC Mode Key – Windows key might be useful in certain situation, but it’s disturbed when you’re in gaming session and even let you lose the game. Just simply click the dragon key as a function key + F12 to lock windows key and click both buttons again to enable it.
- Macro keys with MSI Gaming Keyboard software – Re-program all keys to activate the software functions or trigger sequences of moves by macro keys. You can save your favorite key combination and 5 profiles for different games. Switch your weapon like lightning by your exclusive Macro Keys!
- Multimedia Keys – In Gaming World, only speed is truth. Multimedia Key is a quick access to your media function that you can tune volume immediately. GK-601 helps you focus on your fight.
- LED Backlit with four modes – GK-601 provides 4 different modes of backlit lighting with breathing mode. Don’t be afraid of darkness anymore because LED backlit helps you target your enemy precisely in any situation.
- Ergonomic Design – Ergonomic design of GK-601 minimizes muscle strain and a host of related problems. Preventing physical injury from using keyboard for a long gaming time.
- USB and Audio ports – A lot of gamers need headset-mic while playing game. Quick access to this adapter behind keyboard wherever you are.
- Gaming Keycap – The unique WASD gaming keycaps let you have accurate moves in exciting fight any time.
- Surface Treatment – Laser engraving letters won’t wear out easily and special coating provides excellent tactile feedback.
- Gold Plated Connector – Gold-plated connectors promise high durable and low latency that help you always keep fighting in games.
- Braided Wire – Qualitative braided wire makes sure your keyboard endurable enough and keeps in sharp transmission.
- Keyboard interface: USB 2.0
- Dimensions: 18.11″(L) x 6.38″(W) x 1.18″(H)
- Weight: 1300g
- Keystroke life: 50 million